Researchers: Kate Baxter, Sue Clarke
Funder: Department of Health Policy Research Programme
Duration: January 2006 to July 2006
SPRU was commissioned to undertake a scoping review of available evidence about accessibility and availability of information for service users and carers across the spectrum of adult social care. This was in response to the recommendation of the Better Regulation Task Force (BRTF) in its report, Bridging the Gap – Participation in Social Care Regulation (2004), that the Department of Health should commission research on people's experiences of the availability and accessibility of information on the range of social care services available to them.
The aims of this scoping study were to:
- determine what work was in progress in government departments to:
- investigate the access and availability of information about social care services to current and potential users and carers; and
- improve access and availability of information about social care services to current and potential to users and carers.
- undertake a scoping review of the research evidence on the availability and accessibility of information on the range of adult social care services. Specifically, to identify research evidence on:
- what information about adult social care services people want and need;
- the accessibility via current access arrangements of information about adult social care services.
- identify any gaps where new research might be needed.
The review found no government-related initiatives or recent research evidence on the specific information access needs relating to some user groups and services, for example, people from ethnic minority groups. For other groups, such as people with chaotic lifestyles, there was evidence about their information needs, but no development work planned to address these needs.
The use of information by disabled people in making choices about care and support
Baxter, K., Policy Futures - Learning from the Past?, Social Policy Association Annual Conference, University of Edinburgh, 29 June -1 July 2009. 2008
Making informed choices in social care: the importance of accessible information, 2008
Baxter, K., Glendinning, C. and Clarke, S. , Health and Social Care in the Community, 16, 2, 197-207. 2006
Scoping Review on Access to Information about Social Care Services, 2006
Baxter, K., Glendinning, C. and Clarke, S., Social Policy Research Unit.