Researchers: Gwyther Rees, Jim Wade
Funder: Department for Children, Schools and Families (DCSF), Youth Research Team
Duration: November 2008 to November 20098
This project was part of the DCSF Young Runaways Action Plan. The aim of the project was to generate a clear and authoritative set of recommendations to help local authorities and other key stakeholders to develop solutions that meet the emergency accommodation needs of young runaways.
The project covered England, Wales and Scotland and involved three strands:
- Strand 1 consisted of:
- key informant interviews in 12 geographical areas
- a questionnaire-based survey of key stakeholders in all remaining areas
- national key informant interviews.
- Strand 2 consisted of in-depth interviews with young people who have experience of running away.
- Strand 3 consisted of a series of stakeholder consultation events in Wales, Scotland and each Government region of England, plus focus group discussions with young people
Commissioning, Delivery and Perceptions of Emergency Accommodation for Young Runaways, 2009
Rees, G., Franks, M., Medforth, R. and Wade, J., Department for Children, Schools and Families Research Report, DCSF-RR181.
Professional press: Emergency shelter for young runaways
Community Care, 11 February 2010. Research Realities: Emergency shelter for young runaways